South East Wales

NHS fraud doctor Anthony Madu avoids prison

Anthony Madu Image copyright Wales News Service
Image caption Anthony Madu was employed as a specialist gynaecologist in Cardiff

A gynaecologist who defrauded the NHS out of tens of thousands of pounds working as a locum while off work sick from a Cardiff hospital has avoided prison.

Dr Anthony Madu, 45, of London, received a two year sentence, suspended for two years, at Newport Crown Court.

The "dishonest and irresponsible" specialist registrar was convicted in October of six counts of fraud.

He was also given 150 hours' community service.

The trial heard Nigerian-born Madu cost four hospitals £240,000.

He was given the specialist registrar obstetrics gynaecology post at the University Hospital of Wales in August 2009.

But he was suspended and put on extended leave two months later over allegations about his conduct towards other staff and claims he had falsified his training record.

From January 2010, he submitted sick notes on three different occasions, saying he could not work because of stress.

'Very costly business'

But Madu, who earned close to £100,000 a year, went on to do lucrative locum work worth around £69,000 with three NHS trusts in England while still earning more than £29,000 from his employers in Wales.

Covering his absence cost the Welsh NHS around £49,000, the court heard.

Christian Jowett, prosecuting, said: "This was a very costly business for the NHS and very lucrative for Dr Madu - that's why he did it.

"Madu had been irresponsible as well as dishonest."

After the hearing, Cheryl Hill, from the NHS Counter Fraud Service in Wales, said: "Anthony Madu deceived his employers and was paid thousands of pounds that he should not have been.

"Being a gynaecologist, he abused a position of particular trust and responsibility.

"We always press for the prosecution of offenders and seek the strongest possible sanctions, so public money is not diverted from patient care."

Madu will be subjected to a three month night-time electronic tag curfew, following an investigation by the NHS Counter Fraud Service (Wales).

More on this story