South East Wales

Nida Naseer inquest: Questions over missing teenager's death

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionNida Naseer's body was found at Newport Wetlands on 27 March

Questions still surround the death of a teenager who went missing after leaving her home barefoot in the middle of the winter, an inquest has heard.

Nida Naseer was 18 when vanished from her parent's house in Newport last December. Her body was found in wetlands three months later.

The Newport inquest heard it was "possible" the student may have fallen from a bridge into the River Usk.

Coroner David Bowen recorded an open verdict.

The hearing was told that with no confirmed sightings of her since she disappeared and a post-mortem examination revealing no sign of injuries, questions still surrounded her death.

Image copyright Wales News Service
Image caption Nida's family had had their asylum application rejected

"Police investigations failed to find any evidence as to when, how or in what manner Miss Naseer's body entered the river," Mr Bowen said.

"How this happened is pure speculation.

"And this inquest is not concerned with speculation, it is concerned with the facts.

"Miss Naseer's father described his daughter's disappearance as a mystery.

"From the evidence that I have heard I am satisfied never such a description been more appropriate."

The Coleg Gwent student's body was found at Newport Wetlands on 27 March, about four miles (6.5km) from her home.

Her family had sought asylum after coming to the UK from Pakistan five years ago but their application had been turned down.

The inquest heard she suffered "hurt and stress" because the family's asylum-seeker status prevented her from attending university and had led to family arguments.

Gwent Police Det Con Stephen Davies told the inquest: "Her disappearance was a complete mystery. Nida had never been missing before and her actions were totally out of character."

Image copyright Wales News Service

Related Topics

More on this story