South East Wales

Two injured in stabbings in Cathays, Cardiff

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionA woman, 66, suffered a neck wound while a man, 35, had facial injuries

A 25-year-old man has been arrested after two people were injured in "unprovoked" stabbings in separate locations in Cardiff.

A woman, 66, suffered a neck wound while a man, 35, had facial injuries.

Officers had been called to an attack in Cathays Cemetery at 12:47 GMT then a second incident a few minutes later in a nearby street.

A man was arrested in Dalton Street at 13:12 GMT in possession of a knife, said police.

Ch Insp Helen Summerfield said: "At 12.47pm today officers were called to Cathays Cemetery where a woman had been stabbed and this was followed by an incident around four minutes later in Tewkesbury Street where a man had also been assaulted resulting in facial injuries.

"The woman is undergoing surgery at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff - her injuries are not life-threatening and we are awaiting a further update on her condition."

Officers are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with the incidents.

Areas where the arrest and assaults took place have been sealed off for forensic examination.

Image caption South Wales Police said the community has been shocked by what appears to be an 'unprovoked assault on two people'

A man who runs a shop close to a police cordon said up to 10 police vehicles had been in the area.

He told BBC Radio Wales: "There were a lot of police cars buzzing round up and down Crwys Road and the side streets, and then you had the helicopter above - just basically a lot of commotion with police cars.

"They stopped a lad on a cycle and interviewed him to see what he had seen or perhaps if he was involved, then apparently let him go after a bit.

"From what we could see, they were obviously looking out for somebody but whether they knew where they were going or not, I don't know."

Sophie Williams saw police activity outside her home in Tewkesbury Street.

She said: "I've lived here for four months and seen two major police events in that time with vans and helicopters.


"It's quite shocking to know I've walked through a crime scene on my way home from uni on a walk I do twice a day.

"What worries me is that I would normally finish this lesson a little early. If my lessons hadn't gone on for the full length, I would be walking back in the midst of the crime."

Ch Insp Summerfield added: "Understandably the local community are shocked by what appears to be an unprovoked assault on two people.

"Officers, including armed response officers, were quickly at the scene and were able to make the arrest within 30 minutes.

"Thankfully incidents such as this are rare - Cardiff is a safe city, the injuries sustained are not life-threatening and a person remains in custody. "

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites