South East Wales

One treated after chemical fumes leak at health club

One person was treated after inhaling chemical fumes following a leak at a popular gay health club on Sunday.

More than 25 South Wales Fire and Rescue Service officers were called to the men-only Greenhouse Health Club in Newport just after 21:00 BST.

It is thought there was an explosion in the club's pump room where chemicals to filter the sauna and pool were stored.

A small amount of bromine, which is sometimes used to sterilise hot tubs, was released as a result.

Club manager Wally Moore, 63, who was taken to hospital, said: "The fumes knocked me backwards.

"The gas had built up so much that when I'm opened the door it knocked me for six."

He said there were eight clients in the club at the time.

A spokeswoman for South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "The explosion happened in a plant room and the area was made safe.

"The health club was fully evacuated and firefighters used chemical suits and breathing apparatus while they were at the scene for more than four and a half hours."

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called at 9.09pm to reports of an incident at The Greenhouse Health Club on Church Street, Newport.

"We sent three rapid response vehicles and the Hazardous Area Response Team to the scene, and one patient with inhalation of fumes was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites