South East Wales

Newport shooting: Gwent Police investigations continue

Emergency services at the scene
Image caption Armed police were called to the scene after reports of gunshots

A man injured in the double shooting of an estranged couple in Newport remains in a critical condition in hospital after suffering serious injuries.

Armed police were called to the city's Seabreeze Avenue on Thursday morning after reports of gunshots.

A man, 49, and a woman, 46, were found lying on the floor and were taken to hospital where the woman later died.

Their relationship problems were known to police and the IPCC is investigating Gwent Police's contact with them.

Gwent Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward as they continue to investigate the incident.

In a statement the force said: "It is not believed anyone else was involved in the incident and it is known the two people involved had previously been in a relationship. Specialist officers are supporting family members at this time."

Image caption Vehicle transporter trucks removed two cars from Seabreeze Avenue on Thursday evening

Police have described the shooting as "tragic" and are still trying to establish exactly what happened.

"While I am limited as to what I can say about the people involved, what I can say is it is known that they had previously been in a relationship which had come to the attention of police," said Ch Insp Huw Nicholas of Gwent Police on Thursday.

"For this reason we have referred the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)."

The IPCC said it was assessing the referral and a decision as to how it will be investigated will be made in due course.

Neighbours said the injured pair had been married but were estranged.

One eyewitness described seeing two people lying by the side of a car parked in the middle of the road.

Another told the BBC the woman's car engine was running when he found her.

The emergency services were called to Seabreeze Avenue near Willenhall Street at 08:45 BST after neighbours reported hearing two or three gunshots.

Screams heard

Sam Williams, 33, who lives in Seabreeze Avenue, said he was first on the scene after hearing gunfire.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionSam Williams describes the scene he found moments after hearing shots

"I thought it was a car back firing. I got up and started going downstairs and my partner was heading outside when I heard another shot," he said.

"Then I heard her [his partner's] screams. She was on the phone to the police. I approached the scene and there was a weapon on the floor."

He recalled: "The woman was close to her car with a fatal shotgun wound to the chest.

"I called the woman for a response but it was obvious it was too late. The man was still alive and breathing.

"There was a single-barrel shotgun and two cartridges on the floor. I recognised the lady and her car and I recognise the gentleman's car.

"I didn't want to go too close or touch anything. The lady's car engine was running but the police told me not to touch anything."

Victoria Neill, 26, who lives on the estate, said: "I saw two people laying on the street either side of a car parked in the middle of the street - it was a red sports car.

"Both the doors and the boot of the car were open, which I thought was unusual. There was a Ford Focus parked next to it, which also had the boot open."

Vehicle transporter trucks removed the two cars from Seabreeze Avenue on Thursday evening but a police cordon remained in place.

Anyone with information should call Gwent Police on 101 and quote log number 97 8/8/13.

Image caption Police cordoned off the street following reports of gunfire

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites