Newport shooting: Woman dies and man seriously injured
A woman has died and a man remains seriously injured after a shooting at a housing estate in Newport, south Wales.
Armed police were called to Seabreeze Avenue near the city's Willenhall Street at 08:45 BST after reports of gunshots.
Both were taken to Royal Gwent Hospital where the woman, 46, has since died. A 49-year-old man is undergoing surgery.
Gwent Police said the couple were known to one another. A firearm has been recovered from the scene.
The force said the man and woman had "previously been in a relationship which had come to the attention of police" and said the incident had been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
Neighbours reported the two had been married but were estranged.
In a statement, Gwent Police said: "Police were called to Seabreeze Avenue, Newport at about 8.45 am this morning after a report of what sounded like gun shots had been fired.
"Armed police attended and found a male and female injured.
"Both were taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital with serious injuries.
"The 46-year-old female has since died and the 49-year-old male remains in surgery at this time.
"It is not believed anyone else is involved in the incident and both of those involved were known to each other.
Police cordoned off Willenhall Street - a main route into a housing estate - and a forensic investigation was launched.
People at the scene told how they had heard two or three loud bangs, which they believed to be gunshots, early on Thursday morning.
Chief Insp Huw Nicholas said: "This is a tragic incident and our priority and focus is to give the appropriate and specialist support to the families of those involved and to investigate and establish what happened here this morning.
"While I am limited as to what I can say about the people involved, what I can say is it is known that they had previously been in a relationship which had come to the attention of police. For this reason we have referred the matter to the IPCC."
He said forensic investigators and detectives remained at the scene on Thursday afternoon.
"Extra officers are in the vicinity but this is purely from a reassurance point of view," he added.
"Residents are obviously shocked and distressed about this mornings events and we have officers and Community Support Officers in the area who will be available to speak to residents as required."
Following the incident, the Welsh Ambulance Service said it had sent a rapid response car, two emergency ambulances and a doctor to the scene.
Victoria Neill, 26, who lives on the estate, said she heard about the incident and went to see what was going on.
"I saw two people laying on the street either side of a car parked in the middle of the street - it was a red sports car.
"I thought they were two men, but I couldn't see properly, they were laying face down.
"Both the doors and the boot of the car were open, which I thought was unusual. There was a Ford Focus parked next to it, which also had the boot open.
"Then the emergency services started arriving and I was asked to go back."
Phil Passey, 30, homeowner on the street, said: "You don't expect to come off the main road and see a police cordon.
"It's very very quiet around here, there's never any trouble.
"I think it happened a minute's walk from my house. It's a scary thought."
Kelly Holbrook has lived nearby for almost five years.
"I woke up this morning and someone had put something on Facebook saying they had seen someone get shot and then shot themselves," she said.
"It quite a quiet area - it's a massive shock."
Local Councillor Majid Rahman said he was "reassured" by Gwent Police that it was an isolated incident.