Cwmcarn school asbestos: Pupils to move to Ebbw Vale
Plans to move all 900 pupils from a high school have been approved after asbestos was discovered by workmen.
The decision was taken at a special meeting of Caerphilly councillors a week after problems came to light at Cwmcarn High School.
The children will be educated at Coleg Gwent's campus in Ebbw Vale as a temporary measure from Monday, 5 November.
The packed meeting held in public heard that the move will cost £1.4m.
Earlier, the head teacher, Jacqui Peplinski said she wanted to relocate all the pupils and staff to another site.
'Ethos and identity'
In a message on its website, she said moving would keep "the school's ethos and identity".
The school was shut on Friday, 12 October after a structural report identified asbestos in the main block.
Year 11, 12 and 13 pupils have since had lessons in the school's performing arts block.
Year 10 pupils were asked to report to the performing arts block on Tuesday morning.
Following the meeting, Ystrad Mynach councillor Rhianon Passmore said the authority had been working closely with the school and governing body to enable the pupils and staff to return to classes as quickly as possible.
"We have approved almost £1.5m in funding to support the move and this clearly demonstrates our commitment to resolve this issue and reduce the disruption to the school community," said councillor Passmore, Caerphilly council's cabinet member for education,
She said the move addresses the "short-term" needs of the school for the rest of the academic year.
"But we now need to look to the future and how we resolve the situation in the longer term," she added.