MP's 'concern' over Conwy A55 tunnel closure
The Welsh Government needs to "answer questions" over a major failure of the Conwy tunnel's control system, Clywd West MP David Jones has said.
The A55 tunnel was shut down for around two and a half hours from 18:00 BST on Tuesday, causing major congestion.
The system failure affected the tunnel's ventilation, lane signals, and alarm systems.
The Welsh Government has launched an investigation into the closure.
Mr Jones said: "The system shouldn't fail at the busiest time of day, at the busiest time of year.
"We need to know how recently the tunnel was maintained, given that it was built around 24 years ago.
"You would have thought it was incapable of failure. These are questions that need to be answered.
"The A55 generally is causing a lot of concern."
'Health and safety'
Local diversions were put in place while engineers worked to resolve the issue.
The tunnel was reopened at approximately 20:30 BST.
A Welsh Government spokesman said: "Additional resources were brought in and traffic which had been held on the tunnel approaches was escorted through the tunnel at low speed.
"Health and safety has to be our priority and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
"An investigation is now being carried out to determine why the system failed to prevent this happening again."