North West Wales

Whirlpool must supply facts after Llanrwst fire deaths

Bernie Hender and Doug McTavish
Image caption Bernie Hender and Doug McTavish died in the flat above the funeral directors

The makers of a tumble dryer present in a flat where two people died in a fire have been ordered to supply information about any known problems with that model.

Bernard Hender, 19, and Doug McTavish, 39, died in a flat fire in the centre of Llanrwst in the Conwy Valley in the early hours of 1 October 2014.

An investigation found the fire started in a Whirlpool tumble dryer.

A pre-inquest review hearing was held in Ruthin on Monday.

It was attended by the only survivor of the fire, funeral director Garry Lloyd Jones, the partner of Mr Hender and business partner to Mr McTavish.

Also at the hearing were representatives of Whirlpool UK Appliances Ltd.

David Lewis, Assistant Coroner for North East Wales and Central, has ordered Whirlpool to supply information on how many TVM tumble dryer models have been produced and sold in the UK and abroad, how many times instances have arisen with a door switch mechanism on that model and how many such instances have involved a Trading Standards body.

A further hearing will be held on 19 May.

Related Topics

More on this story