Grape choke death: Jasmine Lapsley care 'withdrawn early'

Published
Media caption,
Jasmine was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd hospital in Bangor

Hospital care for a six-year-old girl who choked on a grape should have continued for longer, a resuscitation expert has told an inquest.

Jasmine Lapsley, from Liverpool, was on holiday with her family in Morfa Nefyn, Gwynedd, when she collapsed after eating a grape in August 2014.

She was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd hospital in Bangor and died after treatment was withdrawn.

Prof Charles Deakin said claims she had zero survival chance "isn't possible".

Prof Deakin, a fellow of the European Resuscitation Council, told the Caernarfon hearing it was "very probable" Jasmine would have died.

But he said doctors should have waited 72 hours to try and get some balance in the little girl's system before reaching a prognosis.

"I am not sure the physical signs were interpreted correctly in terms of making a decision," he said.

Image source, Shirley Roulston/geograph
Image caption,
Jasmine Lapsley had been on holiday with her family in Morfa Nefyn

Earlier on Monday, Dr Dorthe Grainger, a consultant for the North West and North Wales Paediatric Transfer Service, said she was consulted by hospital staff after Jasmine was taken there by RAF helicopter.

Giving evidence, she said: "All the medical signs gave me the evidence that Jasmine had no chance of survival.

"With the amount of oxygen starvation Jasmine had suffered, she had an unsurvivable injury."

Asked by the coroner at what stage that would have happened, Dr Grainger replied: "When she arrived at hospital."

The inquest continues.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.