'Emotive' Ysgol Llanbedr closure plans will go ahead
Controversial plans to close a rural primary school in Denbighshire are to go ahead.
Councillors voted to shut Ysgol Llanbedr primary school near Ruthin on Tuesday.
The school has already been reprieved from closure once after the Welsh government ruled the original consultation was flawed.
More than 900 people objected to the plan which the council admitted was "extremely emotive".
The 32 existing full-time and three part-time pupils will transfer to Ysgol Borthyn in Ruthin from 31 August 2016.
Councillor Eryl Williams, Denbighshire's cabinet member for education, said: "We fully recognise that this has been an extremely emotive issue for those connected with the school.
"With almost £20m being invested in the Ruthin review process we need to continue to review school provision across the area, to ensure that we provide the right number of school places, of the right type, in the right location."
Clwyd West Conservative AM Darren Millar said the decision was "yet another set back" for parents, pupils and staff who had been "tirelessly campaigning" to save the school from closure.
But he added the fight was "not over yet".
Campaigners have said they still hope to save the rural school from closure.
The Diocese of St Asaph, which supports the retention of the Church in Wales school, is seeking a judicial review on the decision.
Chairwoman of governors Julie Baddock said: "We're very disappointed, but not in the least bit surprised.
"We intend to refer the matter back to the education minister to review."
The board of governors and diocese had proposed Ysgol Llanbedr be joined with Ysgol Trefnant, near Denbigh.
"The governors and diocese believe that our position is much stronger this time." said Mrs Baddock.
Campaigners have 28 days to refer the matter to the education minister. Any final decision is likely to be made after the assembly elections.