North East Wales

Neighbours in Prestatyn fire tried rescue attempt

Neighbours made "valiant" attempts to save victims of a flat blaze in Denbighshire which killed a woman and two children, say firefighters.

But they were beaten back at the front door by the intensity of the heat and flames.

The deaths of Lee-Anna Shiers, 20, a boy of four and a two-year-old girl in Prestatyn on Friday night are being treated as murder.

A man, 45, and a woman, 42, living in a flat downstairs have been arrested.

Ms Shiers' 15-month-old son is in a critical condition at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool and her partner, 23, is described as being "very, very poorly" in hospital.

The boy and girl who died were both related to Ms Shiers but they were not her children.

Ian Williams, incident commander at North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said when crews arrived at the scene they were faced with a "severe fire" on ground and first floors.

He added the fire was "spreading rapidly".

Det Supt John Chapman said: "My heart goes out to the families of the people who died here last night and those that are currently in hospital in a critical condition.

"It's fair to say there are no words that can describe how this family are feeling at this time."

He said there were a number of lines of inquiries and a "meticulous investigation" would be carried out.

Mr Chapman said the fire had had a "severe" impact on the community and investigations where children had died were always "difficult".

Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus went into the property at Maes Y Groes at about 22:00 BST on Friday.

North Wales Police said the property had been converted into flats and the victims in the first floor flat.

Image caption Flowers were left outside the property

All casualties are local to the Prestatyn area.

Mr Chapman said: "We would appeal for anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the Maes y Groes area of Prestatyn yesterday evening to get in contact as soon as possible by calling us on 101.

"We are deploying family liaison officers to work closely with the next of kin at this difficult time.

"There is a team of dedicated officers working on specific lines of inquiry in relation to this incident."

Crews from Rhyl and Prestatyn were sent to the scene.

'Serious condition'

A joint investigation is being carried out between North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and North Wales Police.

A spokeswoman for Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust said the man and baby were taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital in Rhyl but he was later transferred to Whiston Hospital, Merseyside.

The baby was also transferred for further treatment at Alder Hey.

Two fire crews from Rhyl and a crew from Prestatyn brought the blaze under control and carried out a search for any casualties.

The street has been cordoned off.

Image caption Police and fire service near the scene of the fire

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites