A man has been arrested after a police search for a "suspicious package" at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.
North Wales Police said a 33-year-old man from Wrexham had been arrested following a "hoax call", but did not comment on the charges.
Eyewitnesses said dozens of officers arrived at the hospital site and some staff and patients were asked to leave some areas at 13:15 BST on Thursday.
Betsi Cadwaldr heath board said access is no longer restricted.
Det Insp Andrew Gibson said: "The 33-year-old is local to the area. It's not possible to provide further details at present - but there are no wider public safety concerns."
Ch Insp Mark Williams said: 'I would like to thank staff, patients and the public for their co-operation and patience following what appears to have been a hoax call to Wrexham Maelor Hospital.
"Our priority throughout this afternoon's incident was to ensure people were kept safe."
Both ends of the road leading to the hospital were blocked by police and people were urged not to attend planned appointments.
The health board later tweeted that police had completed their search following reports of a suspicious package and apologised for the inconvenience caused.
Earlier, one nurse, who did not want to be named, said people were told to leave a building and were later asked to move further back in the car park.
BBC reporter Sarah Easedale, who was at the scene, said one woman, who was supposed to be having a C-section at 14:00, had been admitted inside on a stretcher.
Tonya Hinds, 26, from Caia Park, Wrexham, said she had been in the hospital with her family since 13:30, and had been unable to leave for several hours.
She said it was "stressful and worrying with two kids under five".
She was kept with her daughters and partner in the main outpatients department as police at the time were not letting anyone in or out.
We are currently dealing with an incident at the Wrexham Maelor Hospital.— North Wales Police #KeepWalesSafe 🌈 (@NWPolice) April 22, 2021
Please avoid the area until further notice. pic.twitter.com/nrtBuhrjl8
Eyewitness Stuart Lloyd, 44, said: "I arrived just after 13:30 at the Maelor just to find that police cars were blocking the entrance with flashing lights - unmarked cars and marked cars."
The 800-bed district general hospital was opened by Wales' only British Prime Minister David Lloyd George in 1934.
🔴Due to an ongoing incident at #Wrexham Maelor Hospital that is being managed by @NWPolice, we are asking people not to attend their planned appointments (22 April 2021) and to avoid the site. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience and will provide another update soon. pic.twitter.com/jZMBguVhLU— Betsi Cadwaladr (@BetsiCadwaladr) April 22, 2021