Cardiff violence: Six hurt in disorder and stabbings

  • Published
Police cordonImage source, Matthew Horwood
Image caption,
Witnesses spoke about seeing a large number of officers and emergency vehicles in the city centre

Six people have been taken to hospital following a large scale "violent disturbance" in Cardiff city centre.

Police and ambulance crews were called to Queen Street at about 21:50 GMT on Saturday.

One person suffered head injuries and is in a serious condition and three others are thought to have been stabbed, South Wales Police said.

Four people, aged 16 and 17, have been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder.

On Sunday, police said three people remained at Cardiff's University Hospital of Wales, with another at Llandough Hospital, Penarth.

None of the injuries are believed to life-threatening.

Police said a Taser was also used to detain one man who was obstructing officers, although he was not believed to have been involved in the disorder.

Officers were alerted by "multiple reports" of a "large disturbance" on Queen Street and an investigation is under way.

Det Supt Esyr Jones said: "I'd urge any parent who suspects their child was involved in any way to come forward.

"Tackling knife crime is the responsibility of us all and any parents who have suspicions about their children being involved are not protecting them by remaining quiet."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter

Officers have also been given additional powers allowing them to force people to leave Cardiff city centre.

Det Supt Jones said the dispersal order - which is in effect until Tuesday morning - "will enable officers to stop anyone they suspect is behaving in an anti-social manner, or who is visiting the area to cause any trouble, and direct them to leave."

"Patrols have been stepped up in the area and a dedicated team continues to investigate Saturday's incident," he added.

Image source, Matthew Horwood
Image caption,
Police cordons were put up around a number of streets
Image source, Matthew Horwood
Image caption,
Forensic investigations continued into the night
Image source, Matthew Horwood
Image caption,
An eyewitness said she saw one man being Tasered by police

Eyewitness Elizabeth Winter said: "Some groups of young lads seemed to be getting into altercations with the police. Then there was another man that was Tasered twice."

Cardiff student Amogh George, 24, said he saw up to 30 police officers around Queen Street and the Capitol Shopping Centre after being alerted by "a lot of sirens".

"People spoke about a brawl but I didn't see what was happening," said the journalism student.

Cordons remained in place on Queen Street on Sunday morning.

Image source, Matthew Horwood
Image caption,
Part of Queen Street remained cordoned off on Sunday morning

Det Supt Jones said: "This was a violent and completely unacceptable incident which has understandably caused alarm within the local community.

"A team of 20 detectives are currently investigating the incident, trawling through vast amounts of CCTV and speaking to a number of witnesses, and I want to reassure the public that we will be relentless in identifying and arresting all those involved."

Image caption,
A cordon was also put up outside The Central Bar on Windsor Place