Wales

Caerphilly girl, 7, saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning

Jaydee-Lee, 7, mum Lindy and Laylan, 4 Image copyright Wales & West Utilities
Image caption Jaydee-Lee has been hailed a hero after saving brother Laylan and mother Lindy

A seven-year-old girl saved the lives of her family after recalling a gas safety lesson in school.

Jaydee-Lee Dummett, of Fochriw, Caerphilly, recognised the deadly signs of carbon monoxide poisoning when her four-year-old brother Laylan awoke disorientated in the night.

She remembered the gas emergency phone number after spotting the detector alarm had turned from green to red.

Mother Lindy Burke said: "I couldn't be prouder - she saved our lives."

She added: "From being involved in a simple lesson on gas safety, she knew exactly what to look for.

"Looking back, without this lesson I genuinely don't think we'd still be alive.

"After seeing her brother so confused, [she] quickly looked for other tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and then, like it was second nature, she reeled off the gas emergency number. I couldn't believe it."

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills 50 people in the UK every year and leaves a further 200 seriously ill. It is particularly dangerous because it has no smell.

Image copyright Wales & West Utilities
Image caption Sean Ward, Lindy, Laylan and Jaydee-Lee

Jaydee-Lee's quick thinking has been praised by engineers who arrived at the family home on 6 March to make the gas supply safe.

Sean Ward, a Wales & West Utilities emergency engineer, said: "The actions of Jaydee-Lee have saved her family's lives and she should be commended.

"From speaking to her that night it was clear that she took in such a lot of vital information from the gas safety session which is fantastic."

Jaydee-Lee's school, Fochriw Primary, said she had become a "role-model" for other pupils.

Anyone who smells gas, or suspects carbon monoxide, should call the national gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites