Gordon Anglesea: Sex abuse police chief to be sentenced
A former north Wales police chief will be sentenced for historical child sex offences on Friday.
Gordon Anglesea, 79, from Old Colwyn, was convicted of one charge of indecent assault against one boy, and three indecent assaults against another at the end of a six week trial.
After the verdict at Mold Crown Court Judge Geraint Walters told Anglesea he should expect to be sent to prison.
North Wales Police apologised to the victims after the trial.
Anglesea, a former superintendent in the Wrexham area, had denied the charges, with his defence funded by the Police Federation.
He was also found not guilty of an alternative charge of a serious sexual assault, and granted bail until his sentencing.
Anglesea was arrested in 2013 as part of the National Crime Agency's Operation Pallial investigation into historical abuse across north Wales.
The offences took place between 1982 and 1987, when both boys were aged 14 or 15.
One boy was abused in the showers of a Home Office attendance centre in Wrexham run by Anglesea, who was a police inspector at the time.
Ed Beltrami, chief prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service Wales, said Anglesea had been in "a position of power and authority in order to prey on very young and vulnerable victims".
In 1994, Anglesea was awarded £375,000 in libel damages after media organisations ran stories about his links to abuse at children's homes in north Wales.
He is expected to appeal the conviction.