Food hygiene improvements needed in 50 care providers
A Powys hospital is one of almost 50 care providers in Wales to have been told to up their food hygiene standards following inspections.
Latest Food Standards Agency ratings show two premises rated zero (urgent improvement necessary), 22 rated one (major improvement necessary) and 25 rated two (improvement necessary).
They include Bronllys Hospital in Brecon which scored two.
Powys Teaching Health Board said it was working on the required improvements.
The 100-year-old community hospital was inspected on 22 September.
The food safety officer found improvements were necessary in food handling and the cleanliness and condition of facilities and the building. The management of food safety was found to be good.
A health board spokesman said: "The inspection identified areas for improvement that relate to the physical infrastructure of our kitchen areas rather than our hygiene processes which were found to be good.
"We would like to reassure patients and the public that the health board is committed to delivering the highest possible standards in everything that we do."
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said "an overwhelming majority, almost 99%" of hospitals and other care providers achieve a food hygiene rating of three or more.
If an officer finds hygiene standards are very poor and there is an imminent risk to health, they will take action to make sure that people are protected.
This could mean prohibiting part of an operation or closing the business down.
The food hygiene rating scheme is run by all local authorities in Wales, England and Northern Ireland. In 2013 Wales became the first UK nation to require food outlets to display their inspection ratings.
Latest food hygiene ratings for hospitals, childcare, caring premises in Wales:
- Loving Care, Machynlleth, Powys
- Stay and Play at Millbrook Primary School, Bettws, Newport
- Adamsdown Play Centre, Adamsdown, Cardiff
- Alison House Youth and Play Project, Treorchy, Rhondda Cynon Taff
- Barchester Healthcare Ltd, Welshpool, Powys
- Cantref Cubs After School Club, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
- Cartref Ni, Rhymney, Blaenau Gwent
- Connah's Quay Youth and Community Centre, Deeside, Flintshire
- Cwmlai Fun Club, Tonyrefail, Rhondda Cynon Taff
- Cylch Meithrin Bethel, Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan
- Cylch Meithrin Casmael, Puncheston, Pembrokeshire
- Foxy Holiday Club, Rumney, Cardiff
- Frood House, Clydach, Swansea
- Gwynfa Residential Home, Caernarfon, Gwynedd
- Little Fingers Kidz Club, Gilfach Goch, Rhondda Cynon Taff
- Luncheon Club, Georgetown, Merthyr Tydfil
- Maes Y Dderwen Nursing Home, Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent
- Morgana Court, South Cornelly, Bridgend county
- Newton Care Home, Porthcawl, Bridgend county
- Pencaerau Care Home, Neath, Neath Port Talbot
- Plas Newydd Nursing Home, Treboeth, Swansea
- Thornhill Playgroup Creche, Cwmbran, Torfaen
- Ty Anwen, Trethomas, Caerphilly county
- Vision of Hope, private address registered with Monmouthshire council
- After School Club, Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Caerffi, Caerphilly county
- Barnaby's Childcare, Malpas Court Junior And Infant School, Newport
- Blaen-y-pant Residential Home, Newport
- Bronllys Hospital, Brecon, Powys
- Bryn Hedydd (Cool Cats Out Of School Club), Rhyl, Denbighshire
- Clwb Carco Ysgol Y Castell, Caerphilly county
- Clwb y Morfa, Abergele, Conwy county
- Croesyceiliog Playgroup (within The Annex Woodland Road Social Centre), Cwmbran, Torfaen
- Danesbrook Residential Home, Cardiff
- Footsteps Day Nursery, Welshpool Powys
- Gwydir Day Centre, Llanrwst, Conwy county
- Huggard Ltd, Cardiff
- Leeswood Playgroup, Flintshire
- Maes Y Bryn Residential Home, Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot
- Millheath Nursing Home, Bettws Newport
- New Inn Nursing Home, Pontypool, Tofaen
- Plas Cwm Carw Care Home - HC-One Ltd, Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot
- Plas Y Bryn Care Home, Colwyn Bay, Conwy county
- Precious Gems Playgroup, Cwmbran, Torfaen
- Priory Talocher School, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
- St Davids Playgroup, Cwmbran, Torfaen
- Tracscare, Ystradgynlais, Swansea
- Ty Gwyn HFOP, Cwmbran, Torfaen
- Woodland Lodge Care Home, Blackwood, Caerphilly county
- Woodside House Nursing and Residential Home, Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot