Ched Evans rape trial: Footballer's alleged victim 'lying'

Ched Evans Image copyright Wales News Service

A man who had sex with a woman two weeks after she accused footballer Ched Evans of rape has come forward because he thinks she is lying, a court heard.

He also told Cardiff Crown Court she had no memory of three other meetings.

Chesterfield striker Mr Evans denies raping a 19-year-old at a Premier Inn in Rhuddlan, Denbighshire, on 30 May 2011 and insists it was consensual sex.

Mr Evans, 27, was found guilty of rape at Caernarfon Crown Court in 2012, but his conviction was quashed in April.

At Mr Evans' retrial, the man, who cannot be named, said the woman stayed over at his house on two or three occasions prior to the alleged rape after meeting up at Rhyl's Zu Bar.

He said on each occasion they were intimate but the next day she could not remember what had happened.

"She asked if we had done anything the night before. I told her what we had done, but I knew she meant sex so I said no," he told the court.

"It was like she did not know nothing."

When he said he was surprised by this, Mr Evans' barrister Judy Khan QC asked why.

"Because I did not think she was that drunk," he replied.

Image copyright Getty Images

The man said he then had sex with the woman two weeks after the alleged rape by Mr Evans, again after being in Zu Bar.

"She came up to me and said that if I took her home she would give me a good time," the man said.

He said the complainant used similar phrases during sex to those the defence said were used when she had sex with Mr Evans and friend Clayton McDonald.

When cross-examined, he rejected claims he invented the sexual phrase in a bid to help Mr Evans.

Ms Khan asked the witness if he had given evidence for financial gain, referring to a financial offer for any information which may have led to Mr Evans' 2012 conviction being overturned.

He said: "No."

"Why are you giving evidence?" she asked. "Because I believe she [the complainant] is lying," he replied.

Earlier, Mr Evans told the court he would not "hurt a girl" and there was "nothing sinister" in what he did with the complainant.

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Ched Evans was playing for Sheffield United at the time of his arrest

The court has heard the woman returned to the hotel with Mr Evans' friend and fellow footballer Mr McDonald after meeting him at Zu Bar.

Mr McDonald, 27, previously of Manchester City and Port Vale but now at non-league Redditch United, was cleared of rape at the original trial.

Mr Evans - who started his career at Man City - insists the complainant was not too drunk to consent and agreed to let him "join in" while she was having sex with Mr McDonald.

Jurors heard the lights were out when he let himself into the room.

Prosecutor Simon Medland QC said: "I'm going to suggest that she did not even know it was you [having sex with her]."

"She did know it was me," Mr Evans replied. "I would not hurt a girl, I would not do anything to harm a girl."

He told jurors he would not have performed a sex act on the woman had she not asked him to, but accepted he never spoke to her.

"It was a moment that we were all caught up in. It was not the right time for a conversation," he said.

Mr Evans also denied trying to hide his face from CCTV cameras as he left the hotel through a fire door.

The trial continues.

Related Topics

More on this story