Wales

Ecstasy drug death for Ben Rees while on holiday in Berlin

Ben Rees Image copyright Wales News Service
Image caption Ben Rees graduated from Swansea University in 2014

An events organiser died on holiday in Berlin after being poisoned by the drugs he took, an inquest has heard.

Ben Rees, 23, was in the German capital with friends in July and had taken ecstasy, Aberdare Coroner's Court was told on Thursday.

Mr Rees, of Aberdare, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, died as a result of multiple organ failure, caused by MDMA toxicity.

Assistant coroner Graham Hughes recorded a conclusion of drug-related death.

The inquest heard Mr Rees, a Swansea University graduate with "an appetite for travelling", had gone out with friends on the night of 15 July.

Mr Hughes said: "It seems the group purchased some pills, on balance, those pills included MDMA/ecstasy."

Mr Rees got separated from his group and was found shaking close to a railway station by another group of tourists.

They took him to their hotel but his condition worsened, so they called the emergency services and Mr Rees was taken to hospital where he was resuscitated twice before he died.

Mr Rees had worked in Swansea University Student Union's events team after gaining a history degree from the university in 2014.

More on this story