Wales

Ex-detective Stephen Phillips denies raid cash theft

Ex-detective Stephen Phillips, left, and Det Con Michael Stokes Image copyright Wales News Service
Image caption Ex-detective Stephen Phillips, left, and Det Con Michael Stokes deny theft

A former detective accused of stealing money seized in a drugs raid in Swansea has denied he and a colleague took the cash when they were counting it.

Ex-Det Sgt Stephen Phillips, 47, of Swansea, was the supervising officer when raids were carried out in 2011, the trial at Cardiff Crown Court heard.

He told the jury he did not know safes had been found and taken to a locksmiths to be opened.

Mr Phillips and co-defendant Michael Stokes, 35, from Glynneath, deny theft.

Peter Griffiths QC, prosecuting, said £10,000 disappeared between April 2011 when other officers counted the cash and July 2011 when Mr Phillips and Mr Stokes counted it.

Mr Griffiths asked: "Did you take any money at all during the course of that count?"

"No, I did not," said Mr Phillips.

'Integrity test'

Mr Griffiths told the jury, during police interviews Mr Phillips had said he was annoyed at Mr Stokes.

He was asked why and he replied he was annoyed with him for telling a colleague that he had taken the cash.

In his own defence on Monday, Mr Stokes told the trial he was only joking.

The jury was reminded that Mr Phillips was dismissed by South Wales Police last year after he admitted stealing £250 during an "integrity test" at a house in Neath as part of a planned police operation which was filmed.

Mr Griffiths said: "That was a completely separate case. But it shows that you have a propensity to steal during the course of your work as a police officer."

Mr Phillips told the court: "Nothing happened to that money on the 21st during the count."

Closing speeches in the trial are expected to get under way on Wednesday.

On Monday, the jury was directed to find a third officer, Det Con Christopher Evans, 38, from Llangennech, Carmarthenshire, not guilty of theft.

More on this story