News in Wales: Review of the Year part one

Another year has come and gone and we are taking a look at some of the major stories that happened in Wales during 2014 along with others that proved popular with readers.


Image copyright Keith Morris / Athena Pictures
Image caption Aberystwyth was one of the worst-hit areas during the winter storm
  • Storms and flooding hit Wales at the start of the year with many areas badly hit. Aberystwyth seafront was described as a 'war zone' after one storm because of the mess that was left.
  • There were heroics when a Cardiff City fan rescued a child from under train. John Noctor was on a train to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium when he saw a woman with a buggy struggling to board at Gospel Oak station in north London. Her child fell down the gap between the train and platform but he managed to lift the toddler to safety.
  • The January sales took a twist when police were called to the 99p Store in Wrexham to calm an angry crowd at its 50p sale and the shop was forced to temporarily close. People became angry and refused to leave when staff put prices back up to the full 99p price.


Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Actor Daniel Craig as James Bond, which is filmed at Pinewood
  • Neknominate was popular on social media earlier this year which involves people filming themselves "necking" a drink, posting a video on social media and then nominating someone else to do the same. But with it came suspected deaths including one from Wales.
  • Also in February, film giant Pinewood Studios, which has created 1,500 films, including James Bond, announced it is setting up a new studio in Cardiff. Pinewood Studios Wales will be based at the former Energy Centre building in Wentloog and will form part of the company's global network.


Image copyright ABMUB
Image caption Stephen Power was photographed before the operation, left, and afterwards, right
  • Pioneering surgery took place in March when a survivor of a serious motorbike accident had his face reconstructed using a series of 3D printed parts. Stephen Power is thought to be one of the first trauma patients in the world to have 3D printing used at every stage of the procedure.
  • Police investigating the disappearance of Newport teenager Nida Naseer, who went missing from her home since December, found her body on wetlands. The 19 year old was not wearing a coat or shoes when she vanished while putting out bins at her Pill family home.
  • Also this month, about 3,000 Cardiff City fans march over the rebrand of the club's shirt colour from blue to red.


Image caption David Cameron launched his attack during a speech at the Welsh Conservatives party conference
  • The NHS in Wales came under fire numerous times in 2014 and in April, Prime Minister David Cameron claimed Wales was witnessing a "national scandal" as Offa's Dyke "has become the line between life and death". This was disputed by Welsh Labour is the row is likely to continue in the run up to the general election.


Image copyright Ben Black
Image caption Anna Savery decided to continue her wedding day celebrations
  • With the wedding season getting into full swing, one bride made a dash to the supermarket on her big day. Anna Savery enjoyed a meal with her husband James and guests at a Cwmbran restaurant after the ceremony but decided to carry on the celebrations at her mother's house, so first she stopped off at a nearby Asda to pick up some essentials.
  • On a more serious matter, an inquiry began into whether Lostprophets' Ian Watkins' celebrity status prevented him from being brought to justice as a child sex abuser earlier. Watkins was jailed for 29 years in 2013 for serious child sex offences.


Image copyright Antigua Police
Image caption Avie Howell escaped from prison in Antigua but was shot a captured before dying
  • The death of three soldiers during a training exercise on the Brecon Beacons was because they overheated, a pre-inquest hearing was told in June. L/Cpl Craig Roberts and L/Cpl Edward Maher died from hyperthermia in July 2013, while Cpl James Dunsby died two weeks later in hospital. The full inquest is expected in 2015.

More on this story