Catherine Gowing: More remains found in hunt for vet

Police investigating the murder of Flintshire vet Catherine Gowing say more human remains have been found on the banks of the River Dee in Cheshire.

The remains were found at Ferry Lane, Higher Ferry, Chester by an off-duty Cheshire police officer at 14:15 GMT on Friday.

A post mortem examination will be carried out.

On Thursday, remains were discovered in a pool at Sealand in Flintshire.

A search team from North Wales who were taking part in the continuing search for Miss Gowing co-ordinated the response and recovery of the remains.

The scene of the latest discovery, around three miles from the first, has been secured for a forensic examination to be carried out and a further detailed search.

'Forensic examination'

A North Wales Police spokesperson said: "The human remains have been recovered and the immediate scene secured pending a forensic examination and further detailed search.

"The human remains will be subject of a post-mortem and forensic examination to determine formal identification."

On Thursday, officers confirmed human remains were found in a shallow pool after searches in fields off Manor Road, Sealand.

Tests are continuing and acting north east Wales coroner John Gittins has been informed and is expected to open an inquest.

The remains have yet to be formally identified.

North Wales Police said on Thursday that Miss Gowing's family had been informed and "clearly our thoughts are with them at this very difficult time".

Irish-born Miss Gowing, 37, worked as a vet in Mold in Flintshire at the time of her disappearance three weeks ago.

She has not been seen since approximately 20:40 BST on Friday 12 October when she was spotted on CCTV leaving an Asda Supermarket in Queensferry.

Her burned-out Renault Clio was found near a disused quarry near her New Brighton home a week later.

Police said they have devoted extensive resources to the search operation. A house in Sealand has also been searched.

Clive Sharp, 46, originally from Bethesda, Gwynedd, has been charged with the vet's murder and has been remanded in custody until 7 January.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites