Wales

Firefighters warn over use of candles after house fire

Firefighters have urged people to take care when using candles over the festive season after a woman had a lucky escape from a house fire.

North Wales Fire Service were called to a kitchen fire in a detached bungalow in a semi-detached bungalow in Bryn Gryffydd, Wrexham on Friday morning.

The 63-year-old woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Paul Whybro of North Wales Fire Service said: "Never leave candles unattended".

"Always ensure they are placed out of reach of anything flammable and in a designated candle holder.

"Our advice is that in the event of a fire close the door, get out of the property, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.

Mr Whybro also advised of the importance of smoke alarms.

"Free home fire safety checks are available to residents who can book one by calling freephone 0800 169 1234," he added.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites