Tayside and Central Scotland

Man jailed for Dundee hostage torture killing

High Court in Edinburgh
Image caption The High Court in Edinburgh was told Mark Anderson had committed "the most appalling attack"

A man who tortured and killed a former DIY shop worker has been jailed for nine years.

Mark Anderson tied up Nigel Poustie and beat him with a baseball bat and hammer before scalding him with boiling water.

Anderson kept Mr Poustie hostage at his Dundee flat overnight before the 49-year-old managed to escape.

Mr Poustie was subsequently discovered seriously injured in the street and later died in the city's Ninewells Hospital.

Judge Lord Boyd told Anderson, 51, he had subjected Mr Poustie to "the most appalling attack, which can only be described as torture."

The judge said at the High Court in Edinburgh: "One can only imagine the fear he experienced during this time."

Repeatedly punched

Anderson was originally charged with murder but admitted a reduced charge of culpable homicide.

Mr Poustie was described in court as a "poor soul" who had suffered personal problems following the death of his mother.

Mr Poustie and Anderson were said to have had a falling-out which led the killer to state to another friend: "I will torture him".

Prosecutor Adrian Cottam said that Mr Poustie was tortured overnight in Anderson's flat after being strapped to a chair and repeatedly punched.

He was also hit on the legs with a hammer and baseball bat.

Mr Cottam told the court: "He repeatedly begged him to stop.

"Anderson said he had betrayed him and would take what was given to him."

Boiling water

Mr Poustie then had a pillow case put over Mr Poustie's head as he sat "immobilised" in the chair.

Anderson told a woman in the house to boil a kettle, and a cup of boiling water was poured over Mr Poustie's head.

After leaving Anderson's home, Mr Poustie was seen looking "injured and disorientated" and later collapsed in the street.

He was taken to hospital, but suffered a cardiac arrest and never recovered.

Mr Poustie sustained extensive bruising and scalding, but existing health issues were a factor in his death.

Anderson was arrested four days later and initially claimed his victim must have been hit by a car or fallen over.

'Sincerest apologies'

Defence counsel Mark Stewart QC said Anderson had shown "genuine remorse and sorrow" for what had happened.

He said: "I am asked to publicly offer his sincerest apologies to the family.

"The accused did not for a minute perceive the consequences of what happened.

"When the deceased left the accused's house, the accused genuinely believed he was not in any danger of serious harm."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites