Tayside and Central Scotland

Man stabbed flatmate after claiming she refused sex

High Court
Image caption Gary Stevenson will return to the High Court in Glasgow to be sentenced next month

A man has admitted murdering his flatmate by stabbing her to death at the Glasgow tenement they rented.

Gary Stevenson, 27, confessed to police that he killed 25-year-old Katy Rourke, after claiming she refused to have sex with him.

After murdering Miss Rourke, who was from Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Stevenson barricaded the front door with furniture and fled down a drainpipe.

He will be sentenced next month after pleading guilty to murder.

The High Court in Glasgow was told that Miss Rourke rented a room in the Govan flat where hospital laboratory assistant Stevenson was the tenant.

When she failed to turn up for work, her manager was so concerned that she phoned Miss Rourke's mother who made an appeal on Facebook for her to get in touch.

Knife wounds

Three of Miss Rourke's friends went to the flat at 16:00 and saw her car parked outside.

Advocate depute Bruce Erroch, prosecuting, said: "They went out into the back garden and noticed one of the rear windows of the flat was open and a light was on."

As the three friends waited they saw two uniformed officers on patrol and explained the situation to them.

After forcing entry, Miss Rourke's body was found in her bedroom.

She had received two slash wounds and a smaller puncture wound to her lower back. A large kitchen knife was lying beside her.

Stevenson told police that he and Miss Rourke had been drinking and claimed they had sex.

He told officers that after he woke up he asked her to have sex with him again and she refused because she had work in the morning.

'No moral boundaries'

Stevenson then said he lost control and punched Miss Rourke repeatedly in the face, before stabbing her three times.

He told police: "She started fighting back so that's when I took a knife from the kitchen and used that to make sure she stopped moving, that's it.

"I've never been in trouble for violence. But when I did lose control, it just felt like there was nothing to stop me.

"There were no moral boundaries left in my life."

Stevenson admitted murdering Miss Rourke between 29 and 30 December at Minto Street, Govan, by asking her for sex and when she refused, repeatedly punching her on the face, seizing her by the throat and repeatedly stabbing her and slashing her on the body with a knife.

Judge Lady Rae deferred sentence on Stevenson until next month for background reports.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites