Tayside and Central Scotland

Woman rescued from Falkirk home after cigarette fire

Firefighters rescued a woman from her home in Falkirk after a cigarette sparked a blaze in her living room.

The woman suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital after the fire shortly before 11:00 on Sunday.

Crews from Falkirk and Bo'ness were sent to the scene and used breathing apparatus to enter the home and put out the fire.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service warned smokers to ensure all discarded matches and cigarettes were fully extinguished.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: "Discarded smoking materials are a common cause of house fires - it only takes a moment of carelessness to cause a fire that could cost someone their home, their possessions, or even their life.

"It is vital that smokers make sure they have fully extinguished cigarettes and matches immediately after use and, once lit, cigarettes, pipes or cigars should never be left unattended."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites