Tayside and Central Scotland

Warning after fairy lights spark fire at flat in Denny

Firefighters have issued a warning after fairy lights on a Christmas tree started a house fire in Denny.

Crews attended a flat in Nisbet Drive at 22:12 on Monday after cotton wool wrapped around an artificial Christmas tree caught fire.

A hose jet was used to extinguish the flames.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service warned that more people die in house fires across Scotland at Christmas than at any other time of year.

Station manager Mark Bryce said: "The festive period is traditionally marked by a high incidence of domestic fires because houses contain more combustible materials than usual, whether it be trees, wrapping paper, candles or decorative lights."

He recommended residents unplug lights overnight, check they are in good working order and keep them away from paper and fabrics which could burn easily.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites