Tayside and Central Scotland

Gordon Gilfillan tied up former mother-in-law in Alloa

A man who tied up his former mother-in-law with tape and cable in a bid to extort cash from her has been jailed for six and a half years.

Gordon Gilfillan, 34, and two other men attacked Nancy Marshall after she returned to her home in Alloa from the shop she ran with her husband.

When she told them there was no money in the house they wrapped tape around her eyes and bound her wrists.

Co-accused Steven Baird, 36, was jailed for seven years.

Prosecutors have never traced the third man who was involved in the robbery.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard how, at one stage during her ordeal, the men told Mrs Marshall they would kill her dogs if she did not give them money.

Black clothing

They eventually left with a phone, jewellery and some bank notes.

Gilfillan and Baird, both prisoners of HMP Barlinnie, were convicted last month of a charge of assault and robbery.

The court heard that Mrs Marshall's husband, John, 69, was in the habit of bringing money home from the family's shop at the end of the day and putting it in the bank the following morning.

This was known to Gilfillan, who had once been married to the couple's daughter.

The court heard Gilfillan and Baird then hatched a plot to rob Mrs Marshall at her home in Queen Street, Alloa, on 11 December last year.

The three men were masked with stockings and wearing black clothing and gloves when they burst into Mrs Marshall's home.

One of the men, described in court by Mrs Marshall as "the boss", took off one of his gloves when he tied her up.

Former soldier

The glove was left at the scene and was later found to have Baird's DNA on it.

Prosecutor Stewart Ronnie told Lord Kinclaven that Baird, an ex-soldier, had a number of previous convictions, including assault and misuse of drugs.

Gilfillan also had a number of previous convictions, including one in 1998 for culpable homicide.

In September 1997, while high on drugs, he broke into the home of a 72-year-old man who suffered from heart disease and who died from a heart attack as a result of the break-in.

Defence advocate Ronnie Renucci, for Baird, told the court that his client still maintained that he was innocent, and said the former soldier had mental health problems.

Gilfillan's advocate Gavin Anderson also said his client still denied having any involvement in the attack.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites