Tayside and Central Scotland

Teenager faces jail for stabbing two men in Dundee

A teenager who stabbed two men who had been enjoying a night out in Dundee faces a lengthy jail sentence after admitting the attack.

Alec Hutchison, 16, plunged a blade into Neil Butchart, 30, and Marc Ritchie, 32, in Dundee City Centre.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard how Hutchison assaulted the two men on 19 August 2012.

Judge Lord Turnbull deferred sentence until next month at the High Court in Edinburgh.

Hutchison, a detainee of Polmont Young Offenders Institution in Stirlingshire, pleaded guilty to a charge of assaulting Mr Butchart in Ogilvie Street by striking him repeatedly on the body with a knife to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

He also admitted striking Mr Ritchie on the body with a knife to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement and to the danger of his life.

Window accusations

Prosecution lawyer Richard Goddard told the court that both Mr Butchart and Mr Ritchie had spent time in the the 4Js pub on 19 August with a group of friends.

Mr Goddard said later Mr Butchart left the bar with his partner, who had joined him, and passed a flat which had its windows opened.

The court heard that whilst Mr Butchart walked down Ogilvie Street, a group of youths came out of the flat. A female member of the gang accused Mr Butchart of looking through the window.

Mr Goddard added: "Within a few seconds Mr Butchart was surrounded. He was not aware of having been assaulted but recalls the group leaving him quickly and his girlfriend screaming.

"Mr Butchart looked down and noticed his shirt was bloodstained. The accused was then seen standing nearby, in possession of a knife with a blade estimated as measuring around seven inches.

"He appeared to make no effort to hide the weapon and held it openly. The accused remarked 'that will teach you for giving us dirty looks'."

The court heard that Mr Butchart was taken to hospital and received medical treatment. He was released from Dundee's Ninewells hospital four days later.

Mr Goddard also told the court that Mr Ritchie was assaulted after he left the 4Js pub alone and shortly before Mr Butchart left.

'Bleeding profusely'

The court heard that Mr Ritchie had gone to get some food. Hutchison then attacked him in Malcolm Street.

Mr Goddard added: "He initially believed he had been punched. Mr Ritchie then lifted his top and noticed a stab wound on the right side of his abdomen, which was bleeding profusely."

The next day Hutchison was arrested by police.

Mr Goddard told the court that the 16-year-old admitted his guilt during a police interview.

He added: "He was described as 'shaky' and confessed that he had 'stabbed some guy and didn't know what to do'."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites