Fishing hook plea after Lochmaben swan rescue
A swan has been rescued on a south of Scotland loch after getting a fishing hook lodged in its bill.
The Scottish SPCA said the bird - spotted in Lochmaben - was also found to have fishing wire down its throat.
The distressed female was rescued earlier this month and taken to a vet and then a wildlife hospital.
She has now been stitched up and returned to the wild but the public has been asked to take extra care with disposing of any fishing hooks.
Animal Rescue Officer Sheena MacTaggart said: "When I arrived the poor swan was swimming in circles.
"She was still on the loch so I worked with the kind members of public who alerted us and together we managed to get it onto dry land.
"I took her to the vet where the hooks were removed, only to discover there was also fishing wire down her throat."
The swan has since made a full recovery.
"We urge the public to be more careful with their fishing hooks and line when disposing of them as we deal with so many incidents which are very similar on a weekly basis," said Ms MacTaggart.
"The hooks can get stuck to their limbs, face, mouth and if swallowed, it can cause internal damage.
"This could so easily be avoided by clearing away all equipment."