South Scotland

Hawick pensioner badly burned in fire

A pensioner is being treated in hospital after being badly burned in a weekend fire in Hawick.

The 75-year-old woman suffered 25% burns after a dropped cigarette set her night clothes alight.

Fire crews raced to the house in the town's Wellogate Brae after the alarm was raised at about 02:20 on Saturday.

The woman was taken to Borders General Hospital before being transferred to the specialist burns unit at St John's Hospital in Livingston.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites