Comhairle nan Eilean Siar - Western Isles Council
- The population of the council area stood at 26,200 in 2009 and the authority employs about 2,500 full and part-time workers.
- The council's budget stands at about £112m.
- Comhairle nan Eilean Siar'sheadquarters are based in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.
- The local authority has nine wards, electing 31 councillors.
- Comhairle nan Eilean Siar is the only local authority in Scotland to have a Gaelic-only name.
- In March the Court of Session in Edinburgh heard that Western Isles Council had failed to fully consider rural factors when deciding to shut four schools. The statement was madeduring a judicial review- brought by the local authority - into Scottish government moves to block on the closures. The outcome of the court case will be made at a later date.
- Comhairle nan Eilean Siar will see adrop in population in the next 25 years, according to projections of the National Records of Scotland. It says numbers will drop by about 11%. Just over a third of the population loss will be children in the age group 0 to 15.