- The population of the council area stood at 22,210 in 2009 and the authority employs about 4,000 full and part-time workers.
- The council's budget stands at about £95m.
- Shetland Islands Councilheadquarters are based in Lerwick.
- The council has seven wards, electing 22 councillors.
- Shetland is one of two Scottish councils to be run solely by independent councillors. The other local authority is the Orkney Islands.
- The archipelago is 70 miles long and consists of some 100 islands of which more than one fourth are inhabited.
- Scotland's financial watchdog is to look into the£4.8m out-of-court settlementmade by Shetland Islands Council to Lerwick Port Authority. It follows a long-running dispute over plans for a bridge across the harbour, which has never been built.
- TheAccounts Commission carriedout an investigation into the running of the council following the appointment of chief executive David Clark, who has since left his post.