Orkney Islands Council
- The population of the council area stood at 19,960 in 2009 and the authority employs about 2,400 full and part-time workers.
- The council's budget stands at about £72m.
- Orkney Islands Council'sheadquarters are based in Kirkwall.
- The council has 21 members coming from six multi-member wards. It is one of two councils in Scotland to be comprised entirely of independent councillors.
- Orkney is 10 miles north of the coast of Caithness and comprises more than 70 islands, of which 20 are inhabited.
- Official economy figures reveal that Orkney's labour force is less qualified than that of Scotland.
- However, between 1995 and 2009 gross disposable household income increased much faster in Orkney than the regional and national averages
- Shellfish landings and salmon production continue to grow in the council area.