- The population of the council area stood at 588,470 in 2009 and the authority employs about 21,400 full and part-time workers.
- The council's budget stands at about £1,390m.
- Glasgow City Councilis Scotland's largest local authority.
- The council was established in 1996 as a unitary authority with powers and responsibilities previously divided between councils of the Glasgow City district and the Strathclyde region.
- Glasgow will play host to the Commonwealth Games in 2014,costing about £524m.
- There are 21 multi-member wards on Glasgow Council, electing 78 councillors.
- The local authority's head quarters is the in the 1888-built City Chambers, in Glasgow's George Square.