NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Aberdeen City Council pays £275,000 solar bill after panels switch-off

Aberdeen City Council was left with a bill of more than £250,000 after having to switch off all its solar panels for health and safety reasons.

It is understood the decision was taken after three panels installed on council buildings overheated.

A report to the audit, risk and scrutiny committee details so-called "thermal events" in 2015.

The switch-off meant the panels did not generate any income for the contractor, so the council had to pay £275,000.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was notified and the council switched off all systems as a precautionary measure.

Fire risk assessments were carried out and work was undertaken to upgrade fire alarm systems and install fire detectors.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites