NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Unpaid work order for police officer who attacked Aberdeen suspect

A police officer who quit the force after attacking a suspect in Aberdeen has been ordered to carry out unpaid work in the community.

Andrew Martin, 31, repeatedly punched Liam Smith after he tried to evade police in 2013.

He admitted assault at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.

Sheriff Graeme Napier said it was "no proverbial clip around the ear hole" and ordered Martin to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work in the community.

Sheriff Napier said the offence could warrant a custodial sentence, but noted Martin had a good record and the "devastating" impact that the incident had on his family life.

Sheriff Napier said: "Your commission of this offence strikes at the heart of the criminal justice system. You know that and you resigned.

"This was no proverbial clip around the ear hole that we used to hear about in days gone past.

"This was an assault plain and simple."

'Out of character'

He added: "This is one of the most straightforward cases I have come across.

"This was clearly out of character."

The court heard previously that Martin, who was in line for a promotion to the CID, had been "extremely stressed" before the assault.

As he was struggling to concentrate on paperwork in his office he decided to join two other officers carrying out an arrest warrant in Aberdeen's Stocket Grange.

When the officers pulled up at the address they noticed Mr Smith scrambling from a window.

Although he was not the target of the arrest warrant, Martin knew he was wanted by police.

He chased the then 17-year-old and caught him.

Martin hit him between "four to seven times" in the face, leaving him bleeding heavily from the nose and with a swollen eye.

The father-of-three left the force after being placed on office duties following the incident.

Martin refused to comment when leaving court.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites