NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Passers-by rescue woman from chalet blaze near Tomintoul

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe emergency services were called to the blaze on Friday morning

A group of friends on a whisky tour in Scotland have told how they helped rescue a woman from a fire at a chalet near Tomintoul.

Firefighters were called to the rural property at 11:59 on Friday.

Five men passing in a car alerted the emergency services after spotting smoke coming from a vent in the building.

They then smashed their way in after hearing a woman shouting for help. She was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and burns.

John Kinsey, 56, from North Tawton in Devon, told BBC Scotland he and four of his friends were travelling around Moray on a whisky tour when they saw smoke at the single-storey wooden property.

He said: "We stopped the car and ran over. I rang the emergency services, while the other lads went to check the building.

"They heard a lady shouting for help. The door was locked so they used a big plant pot to break in.

"We got her outside and the whole thing just went up in flames in about 10 minutes."

Image copyright John Kinsey

Mr Kinsey said the woman, thought to be in her 60s or 70s, was very concerned about her dogs.

He added: "We managed to get them to the back of the garden and then when the fire brigade arrived they went in to get them."

A spokesman for Police Scotland said the woman was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary to be treated for burns and smoke inhalation.

Mr Kinsey added: "We just hope she is alright. It looked like she will have lost everything."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites