NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Man jailed for attempted murder of family in Aberdeen

Matthew Boyle Image copyright Police Scotland
Image caption Matthew Boyle was found guilty last month

A man found guilty of trying to murder a couple and their daughter at an Aberdeen pub has been jailed for 10 years.

Matthew Boyle, 42, stabbed John and Sylvia Gallagher and their 30-year-old daughter Charlie outside the Broadsword Bar in Tillydrone in August last year.

At the High Court in Edinburgh, judge Lord Burns told Boyle he had no option but to impose a lengthy custodial sentence.

Boyle swore as he was led away.

The trial at the High Court in Aberdeen had heard Mr Gallagher had been defending his daughter from a comment made by Boyle's friend Kevin Deans.

Deans was acquitted of attempted murder but was found guilty of threatening and abusive behaviour. The Crown decided not to move for sentence and he was freed.

Mr and Mrs Gallagher had travelled from their home in the Highlands to visit their daughter.

Mrs Gallagher had arranged to meet friends at a reunion night held at the city pub.

Defending himself

But they were assaulted by Boyle in the car park as they were making their way home from the charity fundraiser in the early hours of the morning.

Mr Gallagher was knifed in the side and ear by Boyle and left with a punctured lung. His wife and daughter were also stabbed.

Boyle, who lodged a special defence of self defence, was cleared of making an indecent comment towards Miss Gallagher. Drug charges against the two men were also withdrawn.

Defence advocate David Moggach told the court that Boyle still maintained he was acting in self defence.

He said: "It is Mr Boyle's position that he was attacked."

Lord Burns said: "I accept that you did not go out on that evening looking for trouble.

"However, you found a weapon and you inflicted terrible injuries upon your victims. Given the circumstances of this offence, I must impose an extended sentence."

Lord Burns ordered Boyle to be supervised by the authorities following his release from custody for four years.

As he was being led away, Boyle shouted he was not a threat to anyone and was defending himself.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites