NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Reminder over working fire alarms after Stonehaven rescue

A reminder about the importance of working smoke alarms has been issued after a man had to be rescued from a house fire in Stonehaven.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service crews were called out on Friday evening after a neighbour raised the alarm.

The man, who had been asleep, was rescued from the house and treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.

Stonehaven Watch Manager John Strachan said there could have been a "far more tragic outcome".

He said: "The call was received from a neighbour who had heard the property's smoke alarm going off intermittently over a period of time.

"The person who reported it to us said they could also smell smoke.

"There is no doubt that had it not been for the neighbour hearing the smoke alarm and contacting us then this could have been a far more tragic outcome."

He added: "It underlines the importance of having working smoke detection in your home and that you check it regularly.

"There were bags taped over the smoke alarm in this property as the householder claimed they were causing annoyance due to cooking fumes and steam from the shower, but we would strongly advise against this dangerous practice.

"Smoke alarms should be uncovered and in good working order. They are there to save your life and on this occasion this man has been very lucky that his neighbour heard them going off intermittently."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites