Petrofac ordered to make improvements after gas leak
A major gas leak went unnoticed on a North Sea platform for 84 minutes after a detection system failed, according to a safety report.
The incident on the Kittiwake installation happened on 20 March. It was noticed by a worker who raised the alarm after smelling gas.
The leak was caused by a fractured stainless steel pipe.
The Health and Safety Executive has issued the platform's operator Petrofac with an improvement notice.
The firm said it accepted the executive's recommendations and was working on the improvements.
A Petrofac spokesperson said: "Safety is our number one priority and we take any occurrence of this kind extremely seriously.
"We fully accept the HSE's recommendations and are working in conjunction with them to further develop and strengthen our small bore pipe work management and fire and gas detection systems."