Cause of Balloch Primary School fire 'electrical'

Published
Image source, Finlay MacNeill
Image caption,
Fire crews at Balloch Primary School on Sunday

An electrical fault may have caused a fire in a room at a primary school in Inverness, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) has said.

The fire at Balloch Primary School in Culloden Road was reported just before 11:00 on Sunday.

SFRS said firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze.

The fire service said the incident was "thought to be electrical in nature", adding that no-one was in the building at the time of the fire.

Station manager and incident commander Alex McKinley said: "The building was very heavily smoke-logged so our firefighters were operating in challenging conditions.

"They successfully extinguished the fire and worked to ventilate the premises, which had sustained severe smoke damage."

Highland Council said the school, which has a roll of 237 primary and 50 nursery pupils, would be open again on Tuesday.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.