Linda Norgrove's parents shown 'harrowing' rescue video

Media caption, John and Lorna Norgrove: "At the end of it we got a really good picture of what happened"

The parents of Scots aid worker Linda Norgrove have been shown footage of the US military rescue attempt in Afghanistan in which she died.

A joint UK and US investigation found that the 36-year-old was killed by a grenade thrown by one of the American special forces soldiers.

John and Lorna Norgrove spent seven hours with UK and US officers going through the findings.

They said watching the video of the rescue had been "harrowing".

Ms Norgrove was taken hostage in September and died during the rescue effort on 8 October.

Her parents, who live on Lewis, in the Western Isles, have waited until now to comment on the investigation.

Foreign Secretary William Hague released the findings in a statement to the House of Commons last week.

The Norgroves were given a presentation on the inquiry and they said it went into considerable detail about what happened during the rescue.

Mr Norgrove said: "I looked at an overhead video that was actually taken during the rescue where we could see the soldiers advancing and the hostages coming out of buildings and it was quite harrowing.

"It was a difficult thing to go through but I feel at the end of it we got a really good picture of what happened."

He added: "After the seven hours we still had a couple of questions and one of the officers came back to answer our questions the next day.

"So, we are convinced that we've had a good and honest account of the actual rescue itself."

They said the investigation report was "full and honest" but they continued to have concerns about events leading up to the rescue, which were not covered by the probe.

An inquest into Ms Norgrove's death was opened and adjourned by Wiltshire coroner David Ridley in Salisbury in October.

Mr Norgrove said the inquest was due to resume in January next year.

Image caption, A charitable foundation is being set up in Ms Norgrove's memory

He added: "We hope that this will concentrate both on the rescue and on the events leading up to the rescue because this wasn't covered in any detail by the military investigation.

"The report didn't cover the events which led up to the rescue attempt and we still have some concerns about this and we hope the inquest which is going to be held next January, we think, will investigate these issues and shed a bit more light on those."

Mrs Norgrove said the family was also working towards creating a foundation in her daughter's memory.

Last week, the foreign secretary said that along with the prime minister he had agreed to a rescue bid because of fears that Ms Norgrove's life was in "grave danger".

Mr Hague said an incredibly difficult operation against her captors was launched by highly-experienced personnel in extreme mountain terrain at night.

After being dropped off by two helicopters, one of two teams moved along a narrow ledge and came under attack.

Mr Hague said it was believed Ms Norgrove was being held in buildings higher up a mountain.

A grenade was thrown by a member of the rescue team who feared for his own life and those of his team towards a gully from where some of the insurgents had emerged, the foreign secretary said.

Ms Norgrove's body was later found in the gully.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.