Police on streets one week after Pollokshaws killing

image captionOwen Hassan was the victim of an "extremely violent" attack

Police officers have been out on the streets of Glasgow one week after a man was murdered by two attackers.

They were speaking to people in the area of Greenview Street in Pollokshaws in an effort to gather information about the killing of Owen Hassan.

The 30-year-old was discovered there, with knife injuries, at about 22:25 last Wednesday. He died later at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Detectives believe Mr Hassan was the intended victim of the attack.

They said, however, that they were working to establish a motive.

Det Ch Insp Martin Fergus, of the Major Investigation Team, said: "Around 50 people were spoken to and we are currently assessing the information they provided.

"Everyone was very co-operative and understood the importance of this operation and I would like to thank them for their assistance."

'Encouraged by results'

He added: "Our investigation into Owen's murder is progressing and we have been encouraged by the results of various lines of inquiry including CCTV footage and house-to-house inquiries.

"The team remain focused on tracing the two men responsible for this crime, but we cannot do it alone. We need the public's help.

"Again, I would like to reiterate my appeal to the public for information. I am sure that there are people who hold details on this murder who have not yet come forward."

It is known that, on the night of his death, Mr Hassan had dinner with a friend at the Oro restaurant in Kilmarnock Road, Shawlands, and left at 17:30.

About five hours later, Mr Hassan arrived at the Old Stag Inn bar in Greenview Street which is owned by his mother.

He left a short time later and was approached by two men who chased after him before attacking him.

'Tried to help'

Mr Hassan managed to make his way back to the pub where his mother and other customers tried to help him, and emergency services were called.

Det Ch Insp Fergus added: "We need to trace the two men who are responsible for the sustained and vicious attack on Owen as a matter of urgency. It is vital that they are held to account for their actions. Owen's family and friends have been left devastated by this terrible crime.

"We need to establish where Owen went after 5.30pm and who he was with. If you have any information on this please come forward.

"We were contacted on Wednesday afternoon by someone who had passed on information anonymously. I would urge that person to re-contact us as they may have further detail that will help move our investigation forward."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.