BBC News

Cameron House Hotel fire investigations continue

image copyrightPA
image captionThe Scottish Fire and Rescue service remained at the scene on Tuesday morning

Police and fire service investigations are continuing after two people died in a blaze at Cameron House Hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond.

One person was pronounced dead at the hotel, near Balloch, while another died after being taken to hospital.

A recently-married couple and their young son were rescued from an upper floor of the building by firefighters.

Andrew and Louise Logan, and their son Jimmy, from Worcestershire, were taken to hospital but were later discharged.

Firefighters and police remained at the scene on Tuesday morning, with the scale of the damage becoming more apparent.

media captionFire damage at Cameron House

BBC Scotland's Andrew Black was allowed on site and said: "The damage to the building is pretty extensive, especially the upper floors. There's a smell of burning wood and we could hear a fire alarm from part of the building still going off."

Many of the 200 guests who were evacuated returned home while others were transferred to nearby lodges.

Police Scotland said the full circumstances surrounding the fire had yet to be established.

The BBC understands that a wedding due to take place at Cameron House hotel this weekend has been moved to another luxury hotel.

image copyrightSWNS
image captionA young baby was rescued by firefighters from an upper floor of the hotel

It is believed to have started at about 06:40 on Monday, and at its height 14 fire appliances and more than 70 firefighters were tackling the blaze.

Cameron House resort director Andy Roger offered his condolences to the families of those who died.

He said: "Tragically, the authorities have confirmed two fatalities from the fire. In addition, three individuals were transported to the local hospital, but have since been discharged.

"The safety and well-being of our guests, employees and neighbours is our first priority, and our deepest condolences are with the families of those affected."

The guests were transferred to the Boathouse restaurant in the immediate aftermath of the fire.

Hotel guest Ainsley Huxham praised staff at the hotel for they way the looked after people.

"The staff were amazing. They got us to the Boathouse. They went to Tescos and bought us all the essentials we needed, and got the food on. They were great," she said.

media captionFire at Cameron House

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said they were working with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service to try to determine exactly how the fire broke out.

Cameron House Hotel also said it was working closely with investigators to identify the cause of the fire.

Speaking on BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme, John Gow from forensic investigations firm IFIC, said: "There will be a number of strands to this investigation, running in tandem.

"Obviously, sadly, there is the death investigation due to the fatalities that occurred.

"There is the origin and cause investigation which is establishing how the fire started and spread throughout the property.

"It is also likely there will be an investigation to establish if the fire precaution measures were adequate and operated as they should."

Cameron House, an 18th Century mansion, was converted into a luxury hotel and resort in 1986.

It is a popular wedding venue and houses the Michelin-starred Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond restaurant.

In a statement on its website, Cameron House said it would remain closed to arriving guests for at least the next 72 hours while it worked to assess the damage.

image copyrightPA
image copyrightPA

Related Topics

  • Worcester
  • Balloch

More on this story

  • Cameron House fire: Two dead and three treated in hospital