Glasgow & West Scotland

Man critically injured in hit-and-run involved in 'altercation'

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice temporarily closed Jamaica Street in Glasgow city centre

A 32-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital after a car was deliberately driven at him in Glasgow city centre.

Police said the incident followed an altercation between him and another man at about 00:45 in the city's Jamaica Street and involved a Volkswagen Golf.

The man was taken by ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital where he remains.

Police are treating the incident as attempted murder.

Det Insp David MacGregor said the man had been walking with three male friends when he became involved in the altercation with the other man.

'Flow of traffic'

He said the attacker jumped into a dark-coloured Golf before deliberately hitting him with the car on Jamica Street, near its junction with Midland Street.

Det Insp David MacGregor said: "That man got into the VW Golf and drove the wrong way up Jamaica St and hit him.

"The driver then made off north on Jamaica Street, turned west under the Heilnman's Umbrella, Argyle Street, and then possibly into Oswald St - against the flow of traffic - onto the southside.

Image caption Jamaica Street was closed while officers examined the scene

"None of the man's friends were injured but he sustained multiple injuries and is in a very serious condition in hospital."

Officers remain at the scene and have begun reviewing street, commercial and private CCTV.

Det Insp MacGregor added: "There were a number of people in Jamaica St at the time of the incident, a number of whom have already come forward and indeed who tried to assist the injured man until the ambulance arrived.

"However, we are keen to speak to anyone who was in the area and who has not been spoken to by police and would encourage them to come forward.

"The VW Golf made off at speed from the scene and I am sure that people would have seen it make off or driving through the streets, especially as it was going the wrong way down Jamaica Street and possibly Oswald Street."

The incident resulted in the closure of Jamaica Street and nearby Howard Street during morning rush hour. The route was later reopened at about 13:00.

Image caption Police officers also cordoned off Howard Street near the junction with Jamaica Street

Related Topics