Glasgow & West Scotland

Car sighting appeal over Milngavie fire murder

Cameron Logan and Rebecca Williams
Image caption Cameron Logan died in the blaze and his girlfriend Rebecca Williams was seriously injured

Police investigating a fatal fire near Glasgow have said they want to trace a car seen parked nearby with its engine running and the passenger door open.

Cameron Logan, 23, died in the New Year's Day blaze in Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire, in what police called a "horrific and spiteful attack".

Officers said the house fire, at Achray Place, was deliberately set. They are treating Mr Logan's death as murder.

The dark-coloured car was spotted in a layby on nearby Craigton Road.

Officers have been looking for evidence around the layby.

Police said it was "unusual" for a car to be left with a door open and the engine running and said the occupants may be witnesses, or could have some connection to the attack.

The vehicle was seen at around the time of the fire.

Image caption Officers have been searching close to where a dark car was seen
Image caption There is visible fire damage to the house

Det Ch Insp Paul Livingstone told the BBC: "There could be a reasonable explanation why that vehicle was there at that time but I'm appealing for the owner of that vehicle or any occupants in that vehicle to come forward and tell us why that car was there."

Mr Logan's girlfriend, 24-year-old Rebecca Williams, known as Bex, remains in a critical condition after being seriously injured in the fire.

The Global Radio journalist is being treated at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.

Global Radio managing director in Scotland Tracey McNellan said: "We are deeply saddened by this tragic event and our thoughts are with Rebecca and her family."

Ms Williams and Mr Logan had been out celebrating New Year's Eve and had returned to Mr Logan's family home in the early hours of Sunday morning. Mr Logan's body was discovered at about 07:30.

Mr Logan's parents, both 54, were treated for smoke inhalation and later released from hospital.

The family dog, Gomez, also died in the fire.

Image caption A forensic team has been working at the scene
Image caption Flowers have been laid at the scene of the fire

No details have been given on the specific cause of the blaze but a joint police and fire service investigation determined that it was deliberate.

Officers are treating the case as murder and attempted murder.

Det Ch Insp Livingstone said they were certain it was a "targeted" attack on someone inside the house.

He said: "We are satisfied that it was not a wrong house that has been picked. Given that we know that this was a deliberate fire we're satisfied it's targeted.

"However, we're still working away to try and establish who the intended victim or victims were."

Officers have been checking CCTV in the area and speaking to neighbours.

Forensics experts continued to work at the scene on Tuesday with large green covers draped over the front of the house.

Det Ch Insp Livingstone said local people would "undoubtedly be shocked" by the attack, but wanted to reassure them police believed it was an isolated incident.

He added: "Whoever is responsible for this despicable crime does not deserve to be protected. Somebody must know, or at least suspect something

"I would ask you to please come forward with any information you may have and help us provide answers to two families who have been left absolutely devastated by what happened."

More on this story