Glasgow & West Scotland

Pair murdered Prestwick 'neighbour from hell' in revenge attack

Arthur Green Image copyright Police Scotland
Image caption Arthur Green was found dead in his home in Prestwick on 20 November

A man who teamed up with a violent friend to kill his parents' "neighbour from hell" boasted he would "happily do time for it".

Harry Hood, 46, and Ross Russell, 35, carried out the attack on Arthur Green at his home in Prestwick, South Ayrshire, in November 2014.

The men were both convicted of murder at the High Court in Glasgow.

They were remanded in custody and will be sentenced in the new year.

A jury heard how Hood's parents had endured years of trouble at the hands of 60-year-old Mr Green and his family.

On 19 November, Hood and his friend Russell went to Mr Green's home after hearing that his parents' window had been smashed.

Mr Green was punched, kicked and stamped to death.

The men fled the scene with Hood heard saying: "If I murdered him, I will happily do time for it."

Image copyright Mike Gibbons/Spindrift
Image caption Harry Hood carried out the attack on his parents' neighbour

They were also heard to boast that they had "got away with murder" after police initially believed Mr Green had fallen.

After a new investigation, Hood, of Ayr, and Russell, of Maidens, were arrested.

'Body discovered'

Mr Green's body was discovered the day after the attack by his young grandson, who had gone to visit him with his mother, Elizabeth Green.

Ms Green said the door was unlocked and her son went in and said: "Papa is full of blood."

Hood's 76-year-old father Harry Hood snr told how Arthur Green had been a "nightmare" to live beside.

He said the street had been a "lovely neighbourhood" for him and his 72-year-old wife Sadie, but that changed when Mr Green moved in about four years ago.

Mr Hood said the "24/7" noise was "horrendous" and that a dog barked at "all hours".

He told the court: "I blame him (Mr Green) because he was inviting the people there. He was just a neighbour from hell."

Mr Hood kept a log of their problems, which involved the police and the council being called in.

'Ridiculous' evidence

Hood and Russell both gave evidence during the trial and effectively blamed each other.

Prosecutor Iain McSporran QC said Hood's testimony "did not make sense" and was "simply not true".

Russell said it was Hood who attacked Mr Green "in a blind rage".

Mr McSporran said Russell was "a good man" for Hood to have with him that night because of his history of violence.

Russell had previously been convicted of assault.

The advocate depute said his evidence was "just ridiculous".

Dale Russell, of Girvan, Ayrshire, had also been charged with murder before prosecutors dropped the allegation during the trial.

He instead pleaded guilty to attempting to defeat the ends of justice by destroying his brother's trainers.

He is to be sentenced next month.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites