Glasgow & West Scotland

'Abhorrent' bottle attack on young Rangers fan before Celtic game

Kraig Mackay

Police have described a bottle attack on an 11-year-old Rangers fan before Sunday's League Cup semi-final game with Celtic as "abhorrent".

Kraig Mackay suffered a large cut to his head after being hit by the bottle while walking in Aitkenhead Road, Glasgow, at about 14:00 on Sunday.

Pictures on social media showed Kraig with a large gash and a bandage on his head.

Police have appealed for help to find the person responsible.

The boy was walking with his family and a number of other Rangers fans when a bottle was thrown at the group.

It struck the 11-year-old on the head and he was taken by ambulance to the Royal Hospital for Children where he was treated for a large cut and later released.

'Totally unacceptable'

Police Scotland Ch Supt Brian McInulty said: "The incident involving the assault of the 11-year-old boy whilst he was walking to the game is completely unacceptable and understandably has shocked the communities of Glasgow.

"Let's be clear - this was an attack on a young boy who could possibly be left with a scar. This is abhorrent, and the person, or persons, responsible need to be caught."

Det Insp Colin Hailstones added: "At the time, the area was obviously very busy and there are people who will know who is responsible for this crime and I would appeal to them to come forward to police with their information.

"This attack is totally unacceptable and although we don't believe that the young boy was specifically targeted, the bottle was deliberately thrown at the crowd of supporters who were simply making their way to the match to enjoy the game."

Ibrox mascot

Rangers manager Mark Warburton said Kraig would join the club as the mascot at Ibrox on Wednesday night and watch the game from the directors' box.

Ch Supt McInulty added: "Whilst the majority of genuine football fans behaved well yesterday, from a crowd of 50,697, there were 18 arrests for minor public disorder including people having had too much to drink."

A 27-year-old man was arrested in connection with an alleged sectarian breach of the peace and a 17-year-old man was arrested for allegedly being in possession of a pyrotechnic device.

A further 16 men, aged between 17 and 68 years, were arrested for minor public order offences.

The men are expected to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

The game was won 1-0 by Celtic.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites