Glasgow & West Scotland

Killer driver who fell asleep at the wheel faces jail

Alisdair Grant Image copyright Spindrift
Image caption Alisdair Grant had recently completed a ban for drink driving when he caused the fatal crash

A student who fell asleep at the wheel of a car after a night of partying is facing a prison term after he admitted killing another driver.

Alisdair Grant, 21, from Kilmarnock, crashed his brother's Fiat Punto into Gerry Lewis's Suzuki Jimny on the A719, near Waterside, on 2 March 2014.

The 54-year-old, who was travelling with his wife Sarah, died at the scene.

Grant admitted causing his death by dangerous driving. Sentence was deferred at the High Court in Glasgow.

The court heard that at the time of the crash Grant was not long back on the road having been banned for a year in December 2012 for drink driving.

'Partying heavily'

Prosecutor Mark McGuire told the court: "Text messages recovered from his mobile phone sent that day indicate he had been partying heavily the night before.

"Around two hours before the collision - in response to someone asking if he was fit to drive - he replied he thought he would be soon.

"The texts made it clear that Grant was tired."

Mr Lewis had been travelling with his wife to see his widowed mother in Glasgow.

The court was told that as the two vehicles approached, Grant's Fiat drifted "without warning" into the path of Mr Lewis's car.

The advocate depute went on: "From what Mrs Lewis could see, there was no attempt to brake by Grant. He had fallen asleep at the wheel."

The smash caused "significant damage" to both cars.

Mrs Lewis looked at her husband and immediately saw he had been badly hurt.

Cut from wreckage

Mr McGuire continued: "She shouted for help, pleading for people to assist her husband."

Other drivers came to their aid before police and ambulance crews arrived.

The couple were initially trapped in the car. Mr Lewis had to be cut free from the wreckage, but he never recovered.

Mr Lewis, who had worked for North Lanarkshire Council for 20 years, died due to chest and abdominal injuries.

The court heard his loss has been "profound" for Mrs Lewis.

Mr McGuire added: "Gerry Lewis was a much loved husband and family man. His wife and and wider family miss him dearly."

Judge Lord Boyd deferred sentencing for reports.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites